The Latest from the ABM Experts
April 19, 2016
Flipping Funnels Weekly: Identifying Target Accounts
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_text]
The common theme of this week’s edition of “Flipping Funnels Weekly” is identifying your target accounts. It is the foundation on which every successful account-based marketing program rests. You’ll find great pieces from Ghostery, ChiefMarTec, LeadMD, Demandbase and Infer all designed to help you get your ABM programs off and running successfully.
The first step to flipping your funnel is to identify your best fit customers. The team at Ghostery used the Customer Hypothesis Framework to figure out the pain their product solves and determine how to speak to those pains in the marketplace with customers.
- Ghostery knew their best fit customers were the top 50 eCommerce retailers and were able to reach them by deeply understanding the problem they were solving.
- They were able to engage their top accounts through a series of emails. For them, it was about getting their message in front of the right person within the account.
We are in the era of sales testing. If you look at acceleration and optimization all that is really about is the thing you can do as a salesperson that is going to get you results the fastest. With all the data at our fingertips, salespeople need to leverage that and adapt technologies to test faster. – Juliana Crispo, Director of Enterprise Sales at Ghostery
[Tweet “By understanding customer pain points, @Ghostery reached 50% of top 50 accounts. #FlipMyFunnel”]
Marketing technology allows B2B marketers to do account-based marketing at scale like never before. Now, you can use the right tools to reach the right audience at the right time with the right message. This infographic from LeadMD shows how to build your MarTech stack to drive results from relationship to revenue.
- Account-based marketing is not new. It uses the oldest sales methodology out there: relationship building.
- The difference between the Mad Men days and today is the number of channels. Steak dinners and martinis are no longer sufficient. Today’s buyer is demanding more.
[Tweet “#ABM takes old methods and pairs with new tech to reach right people at right time. – @LeadMD”]
The explosion of account-based marketing technologies was a hot topic at the recent MarTech conference. Nearly every vendor and many of the presenters were talking about it. This guest post on ChiefMarTec by Bertrand Hazard, VP of Marketing at TrustRadius, does a fantastic job of highlighting that.
- Predictive vendors are helping companies determine which accounts are the best fit and even bubble up other ones you might not have thought about.
- Measurement and attribution of your ABM campaigns is a hot topic. Many vendors are trying to find a way to help marketers show the value of their programs.
ABM is a way to align sales and marketing initiatives to go after the same accounts. Both have to start with understanding their accounts. We help with that analysis and insights piece. We can do an analysis to determine who and where are your best customers, and determine the right types of accounts or persona accounts, as well as the specific contacts that you want to go after based on those that you’ve been able to sell to historically. We surface new contacts that match your target persona. Further down the pipeline, when you are targeting specific accounts, you need to find the contacts at those accounts — because companies don’t buy, people buy. – Anna Fisher, Director of Marketing at ZoomInfo
[Tweet “#CMO is being held to higher standard with a dollar value on their head. @DavidBThomas #FlipMyFunnel”]
Getting started with account-based marketing can seem daunting at times. How does one even know where to begin? DemandBase has produced a handy checklist that helps guide you through step-by-step on how to being using ABM.
- Data can help you identify your target accounts, but you’ll ultimately need to align with your sales team to ensure those accounts are the right ones to go after.
- Events with a high concentration of attendees from your target accounts are a great way to engage key decision-makers.
60% of those who have employed ABM for at least a year attribute a revenue increase of 10% or more to its use. – Demand Metric
[Tweet “96% of #B2B marketers say #ABM is their key to success. @DemandMetric #FlipMyFunnel”]
Account-based marketing is gaining momentum this year because it is exposing new avenues of revenue for B2B organizations. Sean Zinsmeister from Infer shares some interesting trends from the 2016 #FlipMyFunnel Account-Based Marketing Survey Report.
- There is a greater shift to quality over quantity as marketers look to generate more revenue from up-market accounts.
- Predictive can help build a highly targeted list and inspire confidence that these accounts are worth pursuing.
Through account scoring, personas, behavior scoring, and custom signals like technographics, you have the ability to hyper-segment your list so that your ABM strategy is focused on a stack-ranked list of the best accounts. – Sean Zinsmeister, Senior Director of Product Marketing at Infer
[Tweet “71% of #B2B marketers are planning to expand their #ABM stack in 2016 #FlipMyFunnel”]
We’re hitting the road again, and this time, we are headed to Austin for the #FlipMyFunnel B2B Marketing and Sales Festival on June 7, 2016.
The theme of this event will be “Peace, Love and Funnel” and will be a celebration of challenging the status quo in B2B Marketing and Sales. Tickets are on sale now and we are offering special pricing for Smarketing teams. Promo code FMFBLOG50 will save you 50% on your ticket.