Since this post was originally published, we’ve introduced Account-Based Retargeting to help B2B marketers get more efficiency out of their display retargeting by using firmographic filters to focus ad spend on the visitors who matter most. Turn it on for your account or read the announcement. – Updated Jan 27, 2019.
What is Retargeting?
My mom’s birthday is coming up, so I spent some time last weekend browsing the web for gift ideas. In the process, I came across a book that looked promising, but I didn’t end up buying it. And now, that dang book won’t leave me alone. I’m seeing ads for it everywhere, from Facebook to news sites.
This is an example of retargeting. Retargeting works by dropping a cookie on a user’s browser when they visit a specific website or page. That cookie data is then transmitted back to the retargeting vendor and used to display ads to that user based on the specific pages that they visit and their behavior on those pages.
Retargeting isn’t just for the B2C world, though. As a B2B marketer, you can use retargeting to continue marketing to web visitors long after they leave your website. For example, if someone visits your blog but doesn’t convert, you can serve them ads for a high-level e-book. If someone visits your pricing page, you can use retargeting to show them product-centric advertisements.
One of the most common questions we get is how the Terminus account-based marketing platform differs from retargeting. Let’s take a closer look at the differences between the two.
Limitations of Retargeting for B2B Companies
- Retargeting engages individuals who have visited your website but doesn’t take into account the fact that they may not have decision-making power, or they may be one of a larger group of stakeholders. Retargeting often misses the key stakeholder.
- Retargeting is reactive, meaning it cannot target potential customers who don’t visit your website, causing you to miss out on a large percentage of your potential buyers.
- Retargeting targets everyone who comes to your site. As a result, you end up wasting ad spend on people who are not a fit for your solution, including competitors and job applicants.
- Retargeting does not offer any kind of account-level attribution or CRM integration. The reporting is largely anonymous and presented at an aggregate level.
How Terminus Account-Based Ads Are Different
- Terminus is proactive. It enables marketers to select the precise companies and job titles they want to engage with their ads, whether or not anyone at those accounts has visited your company’s website. No contact data is required.
- Terminus allows marketers to automate campaigns based on criteria in their CRM, such as firmographics or stage in the sales cycle. Campaigns are easier to set up, more cost-efficient, and highly targeted.
- Terminus does not charge a margin on media spend, so we’re not incentivized to drive up our customers’ ad spend. Our AdOps team is focused on delivering the highest quality impressions from your target accounts and personas at the lowest cost.
- Terminus’ focus on accounts allows marketers to measure success and media spend based an account’s progress to becoming a customer.
- Terminus has higher quality standards on inventory quality, viewability, anti-fraud, and brand safety than retargeting vendors do.
How Terminus and Retargeting Work Together
When it comes down to it, it’s not really about Terminus versus retargeting because account-based advertising and retargeting work hand-in-hand.
Take it from Jenny Coupe, VP of Customer Acquisition at SOASTA.
“We brought on Terminus because we had a gap in our digital strategy. We were doing Google paid search, we were doing retargeting, but we didn’t have a way to holistically cover our target accounts at scale. By implementing Terminus and creating different campaigns to target different personas and verticals, that’s just something we couldn’t do before with our traditional digital strategy.”
Retargeting can be a useful tactic for B2B marketers as part of a larger digital strategy, but retargeting alone is largely ineffective because its reach is limited and unfocused. Terminus, on the other hand, allows marketers to proactively reach the right people at the right companies with hypertargeted display, mobile, video, and social media ads as part of a multichannel account-based marketing program.
When you bring Terminus ad campaigns and retargeting together, you’ll be able to provide ad coverage to your entire target audience — those who visit your website and those who don’t.
Learn More About Terminus’ Account-Based Marketing Platform
Curious about how account-based marketing works and what it can do for your business? Our team of ABM experts would love to chat about the Terminus platform and how it fits into your B2B marketing strategy. Click the banner below to schedule a demo and learn more.